National Training Network provides grade level specific resources entitled, The Key Elements to Mathematics Success- KEMS for Grades 3- 8. Each grade level consists of lessons that support instruction by helping to build the conceptual understanding around each grade level content standard aligned to the CCSS. The Teacher Edition for this resource includes modeling boxes throughout each lesson. These modeling boxes serve as a guide, for teachers, as they move through the step by step process of building conceptual understanding. Throughout the lesson, the students have meaningful experiences with the concept at the concrete-pictorial-verbal and abstract levels. These experiences assist in scaffolding learning experiences and help students to see the crucial connections between the representations. Key math vocabulary words are integrated throughout the lesson to support students as they make connections to previously taught concepts. The modeling boxes are also demonstrated in online lesson videos provided at NTN’s website www.ntnmath.com along with an electronic copy of the lesson notes from the Teacher Edition
- SOLVE Problems (five step problem solving paradigm): Every problem opens and closes with a SOLVE problem to set the learning for the day using step “S” and bring closure to the lesson using steps “OLVE”. This promotes application of the concept using a real world example.
- Manipulatives: The KEMS kit includes all manipulatives that are necessary for lesson instruction so that students can have experiences modeling with mathematics.
- Graphic Organizers: Instructions and suggested uses for graphic organizers are included within lessons and are identified in the Module daily plans.
- Engaging Activities: Most lessons include a game or activity that will allow students to practice the lesson concept and skill. Teacher instructions are included and the activities also allow opportunities to think critically and communicate with others to defend and explain their thinking.
- Homework Practice: Each KEMS Lesson includes homework practice which can be used to scaffold learning throughout the unit.
- Quizzes: Each KEMS Lesson includes a 10 question quiz to give teachers opportunities for ongoing formative assessment.
National Training Network has developed supplementary materials to support the KEMS Lessons and the methodologies of National Training Network.
- Grade Level MAPS (optional): Each grade level Map is divided into 12 Modules. The MAP can be used for long range planning and identifies the KEMS lessons that are appropriate for each Module based on the Common Core Standards.
Grade Level Modules (optional): Each grade level for KEMS has 12 Modules. The Modules are designed to help with unit planning and provide teachers a variety of resources to support the KEMS Lessons. Each Module contains the following:
- Theme or Big Idea for the Module
- Vocabulary for the Module
- Prior Learning
- Essential Questions and Competencies o Common Misconceptions
- List of KEMS Lessons for the Modules which includes information on the additional activities, quizzes, and links to lesson notes for the lesson.
- There is also a link for a video for each modeling box in the lesson. o A list of websites and works referenced in the Module
- Additional learning strategies
- Suggested day to day pacing for the Module which includes a suggested lesson plan for each day
- Links for standard appropriate practice tasks. These tasks may be teacher directed or independent.
- Building Connections Document: This document contains two questions for each day of instruction. One question is a Concept Recall which is based on a previously taught standard. The second question for the end of the lesson is Concept Check which addresses the topic of the daily lesson. These questions are formatted based on information available from PARCC and Smarter Balanced.
- Grade Level Standard Review: A Standards review is available for each grade level. This provides students a comprehensive review of the grade level standards and incorporates multiple choice, open ended and short answer questions.
Other Important Notes:
- KEMS Grade 3 includes the Fact Master's Program for Addition and Subtraction so that teachers have those resources to work with students who may need additional review and reinforcement with addition and subtraction facts.
- KEMS Grade 4 includes the Fact Master’s Program for Multiplication and Division so that teachers have those resources to work with students who may need additional review and reinforcement with multiplication and division facts.
- KEMS Grade 6 includes a Fraction Kit lesson to review fraction concepts with students before dividing fractions by fractions.